- 3 Day Juice Fast At the beginning of the year, I was so OVER the sweets and unhealthy eating I had done over the holidays. A few weeks ago, my friend let me borrow one of her juicers that she wasn't using, and it had just been sitting there on the counter, all lonely.
I decided to take the plunge and do a three day "Juice Reboot". I used THIS as my guideline, making sure that I wasn't too heavy on fruits and getting all the nutrients that I needed.
So, how did I do?
I did my best to stick to the plan, but I couldn't handle the coconut water, so I nixed that part. I also omitted the "dessert" juice each day because it just seemed like too much. The green ones weren't my favorite, but overall they weren't as bad as I had been expecting. Some of the juices were actually quite yummy.
For most of Day 1, I was feeling pretty good. I was actually surprised at how good, because I hadn't had any caffeine, and my going without usually causes a headache. Well, that headache came on with a vengeance around 7 pm. I thought I was going to DIE.
The morning of Day 2 I was really wanting to quit. I still had a headache. I missed my coffee. I forced myself to press on, however, and it actually wasn't that terrible once I got through the first juice of the morning.
Day 3 went fine. No headache & I felt great.
Over the course of three days, I lost 5 lbs. I probably could have kept going, but I was pretty happy to eat a boiled egg for breakfast the next morning. Of course, the complete 5 lbs. did not stay off (especially since we had to leave town for a funeral and ended up at Bruno's pizza for dinner...)
Would I do it again? I think so. It was a nice way to give my system a kick-start into eating more clean-foods. I didn't crave any sugar, and when I was done, I didn't feel like I had been deprived and had to have something "bad" to eat "now". Overall, it was a good experience. I actually fixed myself a juice for lunch today, and could see myself doing that sustainably.
So, yay for juicing. What about you? Have you delved into juicing? Feel free to share your experiences in the comments!
Need a community of friends to help you get through a weight loss journey? Be sure to request to join our private Facebook group, Fluffy to Fabulous!
- Fluffy to Fabulous: Week 22 - Musings Good Morning! I have some Friday Fluffy to Fabulous Musings today: like Mama Tutu!! Over the past 22 weeks, I have lost about 13 pounds! But, I've gained back one. :( When I'm good; I'm really, REALLY good. When I'm bad; I'm really, REALLY bad. I struggle with extremes. If I am feeling stressed and just want to eat: I EAT A LOT. Yuck. Especially if there is dessert around. Or candy. I am loving my lighter self. I'm not uncomfortable in my clothes. I don't obsess over feeling "fat." Maybe I'm loving it too much because my motivation to reach my goal has dwindled somewhat. I felt really yucky after Easter until a couple of days after when I had been back on the plan. It's the first time I've really noticed and thought it could be the excess sugar intake that could be making me feel bad. Funny, I know. Denial can be sweet (no pun intended). My current weight is: 163ish. My ultimate goal is between 145 and 150. My short term goal is to be below 160. I feel like I have come a long way. I know what works: counting calories and leaning on my support group. I also know that I am still and will probably always struggle with excess. It will always take effort. I just love to eat WAY too much! So, you all know that I LOVE a challenge. I know in the last 14 Day Challenge I flaked out. I like to blame that on my trip to see Mama Tutu. :) So, I want this challenge to be a little biGGER. Let's call today Day 1 of..................................The 21 Day Challenge!!!! The only way to get this weight off is to eat the right amount of calories for an extended period of time. Not just 3 or 4 days at a time. If you want to join me, that's AWESOME! If not, please encourage me. :) I'll be posting my progress on the blog and the F2F Facebook Group. Watch out! ~Mama Train
- Skinny Pumpkin Muffins One of my ALL time favorite fall food is Tearoom Pumpkin Bread. I love it. Papa Train loves it. The boys love it. We love it slathered with cream cheese, and we eat it like a sandwich. However, my hips don't love it! So, I came up with a "skinny" version of an old favorite for the rest of the year when you just need a little somethin' somethin'. This "skinny" version has a lot less oil, half the sugar, and a few chocolate chips. YUM! And you don't have to wait for fall to enjoy! I make a batch of these a couple of times a month and freeze half (the recipe will make 30 muffins). We eat them as snacks and for breakfast. Oh! And, they are only 130 calories each!!!!! Skinny Pumpkin Muffins (30 muffins) Ingredients: 3 1/2 cups flour 2 tsp baking soda 1 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp cinnamon 4 eggs slightly beaten 1 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup sugar 3/4 cup applesauce (I use the unsweetened) 1/4 cup oil 1/2 cup + 1 Tbl apple juice 1 tsp vanilla 1 can of pumpkin puree (15 oz.) 1/3 - 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray muffin tins with cooking spray. I use 2 pans with 12 cups and 1 pan with 6 cups. Mix the first four ingredients in a large bowl. In a medium sized bowl, slightly beat the 4 eggs and then add the sugars, applesauce, oil, apple juice and vanilla. Mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and pour in the can of pumpkin. Mix it all up! Fill the muffin cups a little over half full. Sprinkle chocolate chips on the top of each muffin. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Enjoy! ~Mama Train
- 14 Day Challenge - Reflections Well, the Fluffy to Fabulous 14 Day Challenge is behind me. I challenged myself to stick to my daily calorie allowance for 14 days in a row to help me get back on track, and I did it! It just proves to me that: 1. I have to have an accountability system in place. My love language is Words of Affirmation, and the encouragement I receive from readers and my friends in the Fluffy to Fabulous Facebook group is vital to my success. 2. I love a challenge!!! At the beginning of the challenge, I weighed about 164.5. On the morning of Day 14, I weighed-in at 161.8. I call that success! So, yesterday was the day after the 14 Day Challenge. I gave myself a day "off." I ate "good" for breakfast and lunch, but I indulged in some yummy homemade granola bars for snack, and I didn't count calories for supper. Boy was I full! Today, I am back to counting calories and am looking forward to hitting the 150's. I have a lunch date coming up on Monday with a couple of ladies from church, so I will probably give myself a break for that meal, but I'd really like to do another 14 Days after starting next Tuesday. Who will join me?!? ~Mama Train
- Fluffy to Fabulous: Week 16 Greetings, and all that good stuff! First things first. After 16 weeks of working toward my Fabulous goal, my current weight is: 162.8 lbs That is a total weight loss of 12.2 lbs from my starting weight of 175 lbs. It isn't a drastic weight loss like on the Biggest Loser, BUT it is a huge victory for a regular ole' girl who does not have a nutritionist or personal trainer on staff. Even greater than the numbers is how I feel physically, mentally, and especially all the great personal interactions on the Flulffy to Fabulous Facebook Group (it's not too late to join us!). I caught a small part of an interview of Jillian Michael's the other day, and she said something that really stuck with me. Basically, she emphasized that losing weight does not have to be complicated. It is really very simple. You don't need a special diet. You just have to stick to two basic principles. Take in less calories and move more!!! This is not rocket science, people! If you want to adhere to a specialized diet and it works for you, that is awesome. And don't get me wrong, I think it is very important to make smart food choices, avoiding packaged and processed foods as much as possible. But, if you are not in a place where you can manage a complicated diet plan, just keep it simple. Start tracking those calories. Get movin'. I promise, when you start counting calories, you figure out pretty quick that the bad foods cost a LOT of calories. I for one like to eat more, so I tend to make better food choices so that I don't get hungry during the latter part of the day. And although I have yet to start exercising regularly, moving more means more calories you can eat! To sum it up: Find what works for YOU. If Paleo works for you, own it! If Weight Watchers is your thing, rock it out! If using myfitnesspal is giving you results, then use that. Keep it simple and enjoy the journey. I am! ~Mama Train
- Fluffy to Fabulous: 14 Day Challenge - Day 3 Day 3 and I'm a woman on a mission! It really helps out that Papa Train is doing it with me. What a guy! My current weight, just in case you were wondering after all these weeks of me struggling, is: 164.2 lbs I'll take it. I know I've said it before, but being accountable to the group is what has and is keeping me going. I hope those of you participating by reading the blog or posting to the Facebook Group are finding the same to be true for you. If you haven't yet, please join us at the Fluffy to Fabulous Facebook group. It is a private group, and we daily post and encourage one another. I think I can safely say that there isn't one single post by a member that has not been responded to by the other members in a positive and encouraging way. Usually, it is several members who respond. It really is awesome! So, email me if you'd like to join. You should also head on over to the Fluffy to Fabulous board on Pinterest! ~Mama Train
- Fluffy to Fabulous: 14 Day Challenge - Day 1 I did it! I stayed within my calorie goal today. :) I even made some Cinnamon Chex Mix for the kiddos. Here is a sneak peak into what Mama Train eats. No judgement, please! ~Mama Train
- Fluffy to Fabulous: Week 15 Are you ready to join me in a challenge???
As you have probably already figured out, Fluffy Mama Train has lost her original excitement for reaching her fabulous goal. So, instead of just sitting around, I've decided to DO something about it!
The Fluffy to Fabulous 14 Day ChallengeAlthough I SHOULD be sticking to my calorie goal each and every day with few exceptions, I have not been doing very well. My thoughts have been focused on the restrictions instead of the prize: a more fabulous me! So, in response, I am challenging myself and YOU to stick to the plan with ZERO exceptions for the next 2 weeks. I am going to use myfitnesspal religiously without cheating for the next 14 days. AND, I'm going to start focusing on what it's going to feel like to reach my goal! I'll try to post daily check-ins. Who is going to join me?!? Tell me all about it in the comments section. Day 1 starts TOMORROW!!! ~Mama Train
- Fluffy to Fabulous: Week 14 For week 14 of my Fluffy to Fabulous journey, here is: The Top 10 Reasons why Mama Train is not as gazelle intense on Week 14 of her weight loss journey as she was during Weeks 1-10ish(sorry about the long title): 10. She finally figured out how to make yeast breads (i.e. pizza dough, rolls, breadsticks, sandwich bread....) 9. She started making homemade snacks for her boys instead of buying the expensive prepackaged ones (i.e. rice crispy treats, homemade granola bars, homemade chex mix...) 8. She has started giving herself more frequent days off from the plan. 7. When she does indulge, she doesn't make a plan like she did for Thanksgiving and Christmas to not count calories, but to eat ONE reasonably sized serving of the yummies. 6. Ice Cream. Period. 5. She is rewarding herself with food above and beyond her calorie allowance at the end of long days. 4. She is turning to food when stressed. 3. She is actually quite happy at her current weight. Her clothes are loose(not lose). 2. She no longer has back and joint pain. Yay! 1. She is not obsessing about her weight 24/7. All joking aside, it seems that at this point in the game, staying focused on the goal can be difficult! I have lost 11 pounds, but I would still like to lose 14 more. I talk myself into overindulging because, after all, I AM skinnier than I was 3 months ago. And, I really don't care about looking like a supermodel mom. I just don't. But, the problem with that is, the weight can come back way quicker and easier than it comes off. And I DON'T want to be back where I started. So all of this to say, I need your encouragement! Can anybody else relate? And, if so, what are WE going to do about it?! You are correct in interpreting this as a cry for H.E.L.P. ~Mama Train
- Fluffy to Fabulous: Week 12....and 13 Week 12....and 13!!!! Mama Train shares her "FEELINGS" about her journey to Fabulous. Enjoy!