Warning: If you are of the male persuasion and just happen to follow my Fluffy to Fabulous journey: this post is NOT for you. (Although, for you married gentlemen, it might help you understand and support your sweet wives.)
Let’s talk about premenstrual syndrome!!! Exciting, huh!?!
I really hate to talk about this kind of stuff, but I feel it just can’t be skipped over. For me, it has a major impact on my weight loss journey. For almost 2 weeks out of every month, I struggle with moodiness, increased appetite, sluggishness, feeling anxious, etc. I’m sure you can relate. And all I want to do is EAT to make me feel better!!
Without going into all the technical and medical details of what happens during this time, I’d like to focus on some practical tips that can help us get through these very challenging, sometimes dark days.
- Be aware of when this time happens for you. It really does help me to know that I’m not crazy and that the world is not coming to an end. I know in just a few days it will all be over. :)
- If you are married, tell your spouse that you are going to need some extra understanding and encouragement during this time. Papa Train really tries hard not to grin when I tell him, but he really makes an effort to help me out.
- Stick to you daily calorie allowance! You might need some chocolate, BUT make sure you have the calories to cover it.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Drink lots of water.
- Don’t freak out about the number on the scale. It is very common for weight loss to stall or for a woman to gain a pound or two during this time. It usually comes right off once menstruation begins.
- Exercise. I’ve heard that this really helps. Maybe I should try it! Sigh.
- Pray. Our creator knows just what we need during this time. He is always faithful when we ask in faith.
I know PMS is often joked about, but we all know how hard it can be for us women. Do you have any tips to add to my list?