It is hard to believe that the last day of October has arrived. The 31 days of Proverbs series has challenged me — not just in having to come up with new material daily, but in its content as well. There are some hard lessons to be learned in Proverbs, and I barely touched the surface! Of course, the challenging climax is found in the last chapter. Entire books and websites have been devoted to the “Proverbs 31 Woman.” Let’s take a look at her, shall we?
Who is the Proverbs 31 woman? Well, for one, I don’t think she was a real person. I do believe you would be hard-pressed to find a woman who can actually claim to have ALL the amazing traits that this woman displays. However, all of them are admirable and good, and she is the perfect picture of what a Christian woman should strive to be. Let’s take a closer look.
Character – We are told that the Proverbs woman:
- Fears the Lord (vs. 30).
- Speaks with wisdom (vs. 26).
- Is full of strength and dignity (vs. 17, 25).
- Is worth more than rubies (vs. 10).
- Is not idle (vs. 27). She wakes early and goes to bed late (vs. 15, 18).
- Is generous. She helps the poor and the needy (vs. 20).
- Lacks nothing of value (vs. 11)
- She instructs (vs. 26). I’m guessing she’s a pretty good teacher.
- Her children call her blessed (vs. 28). What do your children call you?
- Her husband praises her (vs. 28) and puts full confidence in her (vs.11).
- Her husband is also a respected man (vs.23). Behind every great man is a great woman!
- She brings him good and not harm (vs.12).
- She provides food for her family and servants (vs. 14-15).
- She is a seamstress. She selects her own raw materials, spins fabrics, then makes nice clothes and bedding for her family. She also makes linen garments that she sells at the market (vs. 13, 19, 21-22, 24).
- She is a businesswoman (vs. 18, 24) – more on that later.
- She watches over the affairs of her household (vs. 27). She takes care of the finances.
- She plants & gardens (vs. 16-17)
- She sells garments that she’s made to merchants (vs. 24)
- She is profitable in trade (vs. 18), so not only does she sell, she is savvy and smart.
- She has a good work ethic. She works vigorously (vs. 17) and with eager hands.
- She buys property and earns a profit by planting a vineyard (vs. 16).