Fall of Giants by Ken Follett This is the first novel I’ve read by Ken Follett. It’s an epic tale of the 20th century covering World War I and the Russian Revolution. The book takes the stories of several different families from across the globe and intertwines them, sharing their viewpoints and stories of life […]
I did not grow up in a church that observed Advent. I remember a few ...
Here at the Train house we have two 4-year-olds and a 2-year-old, and that means ...
According to my children, I am saving the best for last. Loving all things “cookie ...
My mom used to make a big batch of Trail Mix during the holidays. I ...
Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table by Ruth Reichl This is the fourth or fifth food memoir I’ve read this year, and unfortunately, probably my least favorite. I think mainly because the author really didn’t resonate with me. There was very little that I could find myself connecting with in the book, […]
So maybe I almost cut off my finger and started a small fire on the stove, but this chili was SO worth it! Papa Train’s tweet about my cooking skills: As smoke billowed from beneath the pot and the fire alarms blared I swooped in to save the chef from… http://t.co/dmePgjZcHY — Ryan Parsons (@rparsons25) […]
Fever 1793 by Laurie Halse Anderson Based on the actual yellow fever outbreak on 1793 in Philadelphia, this book tells the story of teenage Mattie Cook, a daughter of a widowed coffee house owner, and granddaughter of a retired General from Washington’s army. It tells of her story of survival, but also of the town at […]
Love Does by Bob Goff I read this book at the recommendation of a friend, and I was glad I listened to her! The basic premise of the book is that more important than reading and studying about what the Love of God is all about, we just need to get out there and DO. […]
The Monday after the Thanksgiving holiday I always find it so hard to get motivated. Christmas break is so close, and there are so many things to do before then. School just seems like a nuisance. I love coffee. There are some people I’d really like to know better if I just had the time. […]
Heist Society by Ally Carter This was a fun little book about a girl who was brought up in a family where the family business was a bit less than legal. When her father is accused of a high profile art theft, she is pulled to return to the life of crime she left in order […]
My entire family snuggled under the covers this morning and just listened to the rain. It was such a nice way to start the day. I’m looking to add books to my “to-read” shelf for next year. If you have a recommendation, please let me know! Mama Train is the only person on my phone’s […]
The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown This was a much happier nonfiction book than Unbroken, but written about events that happened near the same time period. In fact, Louis Zamperini was actually briefly mentioned in this one. The book is about the rowing team from the University of Washington who fought their way to […]
Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier interpreted by Anthea Bell This young adult novel is about a girl who discovers she has a time-travel gene, and it is a sort of coming of age book as Gwyneth (the heroine) learns more about who she is and discovering her purpose. There is a lot of history and mystery […]
- Book Review: Fall of Giants December 20, 2013
- Book Review: Tender at the Bone December 17, 2013
- White Bean Chicken Chili December 12, 2013
- Book Review: Fever 1793 December 10, 2013
- Book Review: Love Does December 3, 2013
- 31 Days of New Recipes ~ Cheesy Broccoli Bacon Quiche October 6, 2013
- 31 Days of New Recipes ~ Crockpot Mongolian Beef October 1, 2013
- Little Trains Preschool: At the Store! November 17, 2013
- Monday Musings November 18, 2013
- Book Review: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas November 5, 2013
- Countdown to Christmas – Last Minute & Backup Gift Ideas | The Write Side of Life: […] Homemade for the Holidays. Whether it...
- Jillian @ Hi! It\'s Jilly: I loooooove it! All the little details are so grea...
- Debbie Brown: You should teach Mallory to make her own clothes. ...
- Laura: Brilliant. :)...
- Laura: Hi Karen! I just have classic 9 inch loaf pans. ...